RAPS is short for Regional Animal Protection Society, a registered charity and operator of a sanctuary which houses and cares for nearly 500 homeless or abandoned cats in Richmond, BC, Canada. The Neko Files is a celebration of the sanctuary and all those who live and work there.

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Mary (II)

I was introduced to Mary earlier this month by Gaye. With formerly shy Orlean now following me around and meowing at me until I pick her up and drape her purring self over my shoulder, I'm ready to take on a new challenge. Gaye recommended Mary as a good candidate for some extra attention.

While interested in what the humans moving around her may be up to, Mary's still quite shy and ready to scoot away at a moment's notice if anyone gets closer than she's comfortable with.


Some people have been able to get close enough to touch the tip of her nose, but so far that's about all she's prepared to permit. Since she's only just met me, I haven't yet been allowed even this close, but she was curious enough about me that she was content to sit peering at me, just safely out of reach, as I took a number of photos of her.



The next time I met her, I was able to get a little closer through the presentation of a food offering. As is apparent from her rounded silhouette, she does like her food.
Let's see if we can get her into the idea of liking a few cuddles too.

5 comments:

  1. She did the bestest thing last night! I was crouched down talking to her and she rolled and stretched and touched my finger tip!!!!
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now she sits outside the med cage watching me !!!!!!....... Then she scoots away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been calling her Cat, thanks for finding her name for me. Today she made it all the way to the door to the laundry room before she freaked out and scuttled back to the porch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. She does seem to be getting a bit more used to us. She still wouldn't let me touch her on Monday night, but she did that thing where they stand there, peer at you for a bit and then lift their tail to show off.
    So we have her attention, anyway!

    ReplyDelete