RAPS is short for Regional Animal Protection Society, a registered charity and operator of a sanctuary which houses and cares for nearly 500 homeless or abandoned cats in Richmond, BC, Canada. The Neko Files is a celebration of the sanctuary and all those who live and work there.

Monday, January 4, 2010

Prince

Prince is one of the more enthusiastic of the sanctuary's self-appointed greeters. Barbara refers to him as the "Leg Tapper," but with me he has on occasion gone beyond tapping into something approaching "Leg Grabber" territory. Perhaps he realized he had to compete Sadie for my time.

He's so amiable, though, that it's impossible to hold these demands for attention against him. And he does genuinely love being patted.



A prince of a cat? A case could be made, but as it turns out, his name comes from the place he was found. 
Prince's story, from Leslie (originally published in The Love Blog in July, 2009):
"Prince is named for Princess Street in Steveston. An artist named Jan Corkin with a studio in Steveston discovered a colony of around 20 young feral cats and began feeding them. She became concerned about their welfare when she learned that a custodian of a nearby building wanted to get rid of them. Jan feared the cats would be harmed. She contacted RAPS and we were able to successfully trap the mother and all of her offspring. The cats are now living happily at the sanctuary and most remain feral. Prince, however, has become very friendly to people because we kept him in a cage for awhile in order to socialize him."


Prince is so very friendly with people that, as Love Blogger Barbara has found as well, it can be hard to snatch a good photo when he's constantly in motion with his cat dance of joy. I only managed to get these last two photos after he climbed up on a high shelf where he couldn't reach me without expending way too much energy for a cat who's just found a comfy place to sit.


1 comment:

  1. I think is a such a handsome cat. Of all the photos I took at the sanctuary, one I have of Prince is to me the best cat photo I have taken... he is a model. LOL

    I have 22 Prince photos On my FLICKR I think he is that photogenic.

    ReplyDelete