RAPS is short for Regional Animal Protection Society, a registered charity and operator of a sanctuary which houses and cares for nearly 500 homeless or abandoned cats in Richmond, BC, Canada. The Neko Files is a celebration of the sanctuary and all those who live and work there.

Saturday, October 24, 2015

Introducing another young photographer - Shoval

The other photographer who submitted shots for the calendar was Shoval Gamliel-Komar.  Two of his lovely images made it into the final selection; this blog presents some of his other pictures.

Shoval says:
I've been volunteering at RAPS since 2006 after I heard about it from one of my friends who was volunteering there at the time.
 Dell
In my "other" life, I'm in my 5th and final year at UBC majoring in History and minoring in French. I also love doing photography in my spare time. Fun Fact, one of my photos is actually on the RAPS website and if any of you want to see more photos feel free to follow me on Instagram  @shovalgk 
I don't have any cats at home, my mom is allergic and my dad thinks their only use is for catching mice on the farm which is one of the main reasons why I volunteer at RAPS.
Fred
I used to do Sunday mornings and then midway through high school I changed to Saturday mornings and both were in the Double Wide.
Bella was one of the first cats I met 9 years ago. Two years after she developed feline HIV/leukemia and for the next seven years I would constantly visit her in the Old AIDS room after my shift was done. Sadly, we lost her this past summer but I was amazed at how long she lived. The picture above is a collage of some of my favourite shots of her.
My second all-time favourite cat is Hannah and she's absolutely adorable.
 Emily

Peppercorn
In my nine years a the Sanctuary I've seen many cats come and go so if I wrote about all of my favourite cats it would go on for pages and pages!
Chester
I would love to see young people continue to volunteer even after they finish their volunteer hours for school, as it’s a fun environment to be around and plus, you get to be around cats all the time. If a donor offered a lot of money I wish we could be adding a state-of-the-art veterinary wing complete with staff so that the RAPS staff don't have to constantly drive across town to the vets.

Blog by Brigid Coult & Shoval Gamliel-Komar
Photos by Shoval Gamliel-Komar

.

6 comments:

  1. Love this write up...and the pictures
    Dianne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent blog, Shoval! And beautiful photos, too. So good to see a post from a dedicated young volunteer. I hope your wishes for more young volunteers and an on-site veterinary wing come true.
    Marianne

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this post so much! Gorgeous photos Shoal!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post...and love that you are featuring so many of the sanctuary cats on Instagram as well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great pics!
    Love to read that someone else worshipped and remained true to Bella.:)

    ReplyDelete