RAPS is short for Regional Animal Protection Society, a registered charity and operator of a sanctuary which houses and cares for nearly 500 homeless or abandoned cats in Richmond, BC, Canada. The Neko Files is a celebration of the sanctuary and all those who live and work there.

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Pickles

Pickles came to RAPS as a feral kitten. According to Leslie, he was "painfully shy" and resisted all her attempts to tame him.


It's always hard (perhaps impossible) to predict when and even if a young feral will become tame, since it seems to vary so much from cat to cat. For Pickles, it took a while, but "somehow, years later, he decided to let people into his life."


Now he's a sweet, affable boy who welcomes petting from his human friends. Look for him in the tearoom or, on a warmer day, sunning himself out in the back yard.

2 comments:

  1. The first time I met Pickles I thought he was Jimmy from behind in a rush...big mistake.
    I picked him up quickly and he told me almost as quickly who he was.
    He slashed me from my wrist to half way to my elbow.
    Didn't now his name and instantly dubbed him Emo.
    When Leslie later confirmed the Pickles name he became Emo Pickles. ;)
    Watch his tail when he greets you, it vibrates with pleasure, scritch his back with your nails and he vibrates more.
    He's just too cool to be my lap cat, yet he loves to sit beside you and hang.
    Obviously Emo Pickles is a kitty with a piece of my heart, thanks for featuring him. ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emo Pickles - I love it!
    He's one of those cats I've seen around and interacted with a bunch of times without ever knowing his name until I accosted Leslie with a photo of him.
    I had a hard time getting a good picture of him in the tearoom the other night because he wouldn't stop running right up to me and shoving his head into my hand. Never tried picking him up though... and after your story I suspect I won't risk it!

    ReplyDelete